Our mistakes, missteps, and successes as we learn to live on less

Monday, June 20, 2011

Jam

There is a store here in Utah County, our new home, called Sunflower Market.  Actually, it's called Sunflower Farmer's Market, but it has no resemblance to an actual farmer's market, I refuse to call it that (close rant).

This store is basically a Whole Foods clone, complete with overpriced bakery, overpriced snacks, bulk bins, and occasional good sales.  Every week they do have a produce loss leader, which I take full advantage of.  Last week, it was peaches for 47 cents a pound.

I made four trips for peaches, so as not to clean them out.  A helpful employee told me which days they get produce deliveries, so I showed up on those days, ready to pick up another ten or fifteen pounds of peaches.

We have peach cobbler.  We have bottled peaches (though not very many.  I didn't remember just how much time and work those take.  A whole day, and I got eight quarts).  We have a lot of peach jam.  This sale coincided with a sale of strawberries at another store, so we have a LOT of jam.  Like, thirty pints of jam.  I added it up, and I think I spent sixty dollars on all the jam, which should last us a good long time.

I love to see all the jam stored on the shelves in my new pantry.  I love that I spent a lot less on it than I would have had I bought it in a store.  Mostly, I just love homemade jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment