Our mistakes, missteps, and successes as we learn to live on less

Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's not pretty...

 It's not pretty, but it tastes good

Chicken was only $1.39 this week, so I decided to try canning it.  I've been wanted to plug the giant meat-shaped gap in my food storage.  I also figured that it would be nice to have a bunch of cooked chicken around, and I just don't have a the freezer space for very much.

It's not hard to bottle: cut chicken, put chicken in jars, pressure cook.  I found the instructions here:
http://lovehugsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2008/11/canning-chicken.html.   (I did not use salt).

I have to add that this was made possible through the loan of a pressure cooker from Mom and Ted (thanks, guys).

I've used this chicken two days in a row, now.  It's unbelieveably convenient; I plan to can the rest of the chicken that's in my freezer as soon as I have the time.  It also increases my food storage possibilities, so I look forward to coming up with new storage-only meals.


Since I was canning anyway, I decided to try bottling apple slices.  I had about twelve pounds because they were sixty eight cents a pound this week, and I knew I'd use them somehow.  I peeled, sliced, blanched, bottled, and boiled.  We'll use these for pies, or for rice and apples, or over ice cream





I love  that pop the bottles make when they seal.  My girls love it, too; they kept giggling every time they heard it, and would hang around while I pulled the bottles out of the water so they wouldn't miss it.  In a couple of years, I think I'll have a couple of little helpers.


Additonal:
I've been doing some research, and you can can include sauce in the bottles before you cook them, to flavor the chicken.  Monday will find me at the grocery store buying another box of chicken and some Italian dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment