Our mistakes, missteps, and successes as we learn to live on less

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Granola

After months of loving oatmeal, my kids have decided that granola is now the best breakfast food ever.  Granola's price is way out of our budget, but it's really easy to make.  I made a visit to the bulk bins at Winco, and only got as much of the nuts and craisins as I needed, so it turned out pretty inexpensive.


Coating:
1/3 cup oil
1/4 C brown sugar
1/3 C honey (may need more)
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon

Granola:
4 cups oats
1 cup of chopped raw nuts and seeds (almonds, cashews, pecans, sunflower seeds)
Raisins or dried cranberries to taste

Mix dry and wet ingredients seperately, then combine.  Spread onto a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about twenty minutes, stirring halfway through.  Store in an airtight container. 

This cost me under three dollars, and the girls love it.  It is good with milk, or eaten plain.  I especially love it, because it requires no fresh ingredients; it can be made entirely with food storage items.

1 comment:

  1. sounds good! I'm always impressed with the grown up tastes of your girls.

    ReplyDelete