Our mistakes, missteps, and successes as we learn to live on less

Friday, December 31, 2010

Sprouts

A neighbor gave me a jar and some seeds for sprouting for Christmas.  I used to sprout seeds, but I was using cloth over the top of the jar to drain the water, and it doesn't work very well.  This one has plastic canvas over the top, and it's a wide-mouth jar.  It works beautifully.






To sprout seeds:
Put seeds in jar and cover with water.  Soak for 12 hours if using large seeds, and 6 hours for small seeds.  Rinse.  Rinse 2 or 3 times a day until the seeds sprout and sprouts grow to desired length. 

Sprouts are ridiculously good for you.  They have vitamins, proteins, amino acids, and minerals.  I keep seeds in my food storage because they are a good source of fresh food in case we can't go the the grocery store.

I usually sprout wheat because I have a lot of it. I put sprouts in bread, which gives it a nutty texture.  They also go in soup, rice dishes, bean dishes, and can be eaten plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment