Our mistakes, missteps, and successes as we learn to live on less

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chicken and Rice Soup

I don't really like soup much.  I am finding, though, that it's one of the cheapest meals to make, and it's pretty easy too.  Shawn and the kids love it, so I'm making soup a lot more often lately.

I love the website The Prudent Homemaker.  She has awesome recipes, most of which are made with food storage items, and all are inexpensive.  She gave me the idea to try a chicken and rice soup, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Shawn and the girls liked it, too.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought about ten pounds of chicken and cut it up.  I cooked it and cut it up, and froze it for use later.  I used some of it for this soup.

Chicken and Rice Soup

Put chicken (cooked or raw) in large pot and cook or brown.  Add
Chicken both, at least one can or two cups
Then add the veggies; I used corn and potatoes.  Carrots would also be good.
Add one and a half cups of rice and three cups water.
Add spices; pepper, salt, basil or oregano
Cover the pot, and let it simmer for at least half an hour.  You will probably need to add more water.

No comments:

Post a Comment