Our mistakes, missteps, and successes as we learn to live on less

Friday, November 5, 2010

Shopping for the week

We needed a few things, so I went to the store for them.

First of all, I spent about twenty five dollars more than I intended to spend.  Part of this was the fifteen dollar container I bought to use as a breadbox for all the homemade bread I've been making.  Still, I did buy a few things that weren't on my list.

To keep myself on track, I'm posting a list of all the meals that I can make with what I have on hand, and when I plan to make it.

Spent:55.00 (including breadbox)
Things I purchased are in bold

Saturday: BLTs
     Homemade bread, tomatoes, last of the lettuce, bacon (freeze 1/2 of the bacon)
Sunday: Fajitas
     Chicken, onions, olives, tomatoes, salsa, tortillas, green peppers, sour cream
Monday: Chicken cacciatore
     Chicken, pasta, Prego sauce, mushrooms, homemade herb bread
Tuesday: Omlettes
     eggs, cheese, green pepper, toast
Wednesday: Shepherd's pie (make two and freeze one)
     ground chicken, potatoes, onion, cream of chicken soup, can of corn, cheese (if any is left over)
Thursday: Chicken and rice soup
     chicken, rice, carrots, broth, onions, with homemade bread
Friday: Mashed potato soup
      potatoes, onion, broth, bacon
Saturday: French toast
     Bread, eggs, milk, bacon  


Snacks: bread, apples, halloween candy (the kids), ice cream (adults), raisins, graham crackers, peanut butter


So, eight days of meals and snacks for 55 dollars.  I also bought milk, a treat, and bananas, which the girls like to eat with lunch.  Let's see how we do this week resisting the temptation to buy any more food.

No comments:

Post a Comment